But since we started using cloth napkins about a year ago, we have saved even more.
I found whole box of napkins a yard sale. They only wanted $.10 a piece for them, so I bought the whole box. I sorted out the napkins by color, since they weren't really in sets. And I put the more fallish colors in a box with our fall stuff, Christmas colors, etc.
We have come to where we like the blue, pink, yellow, and green ones the best. They match our vinyl fish table cloth, and everyone gets their own color. We have two of each color, except for blue. We have like ten of the blue, which is handy, because My Pet uses the blue ones, and he needs more than everyone else.
Let me tell you about all of the benefits of using the cloth napkins:
- We don't have to buy more. Saves money, time, and we don't run out.
- We can use as many as we want. We don't have to worry about conserving.
- We just throw them in the wash. Since I do a load of towels, etc. every week anyway, we just throw these in, and they don't take up more laundry space.
- They clean up great. One napkin can usually take care of most spills, no extra napkins, paper towels or rags needed.
- We can use them more than once (if this grosses you out, then skip to the next part) but for many meals, a napkin is just needed for touch up. You can easily fold it the other way, and it is good as new. And since we each use a different color, we don't have to worry about cross contamination.
- They are cute. We don't have to decide between cheap or cute. Ours are both.
- We aren't living a disposable life. The more I can teach my kids that we don't just buy stuff just to throw it away, the better.
- Hubby said just last night, "these are one of the finer things." I thought he was talking about the cheese enchiladas I had made, but no. He was talking about the napkins. Apparently he thinks they are classy.
So now that I have taught my kids how to fold them, they are the easiest switch we have made in saving money and being green.
For our 28 days of Give Aways...
A set of new cloth napkins! (set of four + 1 that is just slightly a different color) Just leave me a comment to be entered to win. For more entries, you can become a follower, or a subscriber, each would give you another entry. Leave me a comment, so I know. This Give Away will be open until Sunday, when I announce the winners.
Sorry for no pictures, but that computer has been having virus troubles.